The American Red Cross

Friday, April 08, 2005

My Basic Philosophy

Because of my recent "enlightenment", my dear cousin is a hard core liberal, I decided it was time to lay out and explain my basic philosophies. I think it will help all to see where I am coming from. I will constantly update and repost this as my general thoughts change or I think of something new to say.

Yes, I consider myself a conservative. Technically, I would say I am a "compassionate conservative", but I hate that term. It implies conservatives are not compassionate and that is simply not true. With that said, I do not just spew forth conservative viewpoints just because they are conservative, nor do I agree with everything President Bush, Republican pundents, or Conservative talk show hosts say or do.

I take each issue on its own merits. To be honest, I consider myself more moderate leaning to the right. It just happens that my general philosophy puts me with the conservatives most of the time. With that in mind, I don't like extremism in any direction. I don't like black and white answers. Some, like Rush, considers that thinking weak and having a lack of conviction. I consider it not being a stubborn bore.

Some philosophical examples:
  • I don't agree with Bush on stem cell research.
  • Although I am against abortion, I don't take the cut and dry stance of "no abortion ever for any reason."
  • The gay issue is a tough one. I honestly am not sure where I stand because I don't have the answers to the questions I need answered to make an informed decision. From a Christian point of view, I don't agree with gay marriage. Strictly biblically speaking, homesexuality is a sin. From a personal point of view, I don't see how it really affects heterosexuals much either way. I think that people should be able to live life as they wish without interference as long as they aren't hurting anyone else or themselves.
  • When in doubt, err on the side of life.
  • Seperation of Church and State means there is no state sponsored religion, NOT that one can't be free to pray in school or display religious items in public area's. If that offends you, tough shit, get over it.
  • Atheists have a right to not believe just as much as we have a right to believe. However, just as they do not want us preaching to them, don't come preaching to us.
  • I am a Christian, (Lutheran) and as such believes in helping others. Most Christians (and conservatives) believe that. Contrary to popular believe. Where we differ is HOW to help them. One example, do I think we need a welfare system to help the poor, YES, but it should not be a life long hand out. Money should be spent to help the poor get out of that position rather then keeping them dependant on the money.

OK, there is more, but I will leave it at that for now and leave you with this. Part of the lyrics of Billy Joel's song "Shades of Grey"

Shades of grey wherever I go
The more I find out the less that I know
Black and white is how it should be
But shades of grey are the colors I see

Now with the wisdom of years I try to reason things out
And the only people I fear are those who never have doubts
Save us all from arrogant men, and all the causes they're for
I won't be righteous again
I'm not that sure anymore

Shades of grey wherever I go
The more I find out the less that I know
Ain't no rainbows shining on me
Shades of grey are the colors I see

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



The American Red Cross