The American Red Cross

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Davinci Code

OK, I know I am behind the times, but I finally saw the Davinci Code tonight. I have to tell you, I am shocked at how horrible the reviews were. I thought it is very good. I agree with some of the reviews statements, but for the most part, this was a good movie that I found very enjoyable.

The performances by the main characters were OK. Not great, a little bland, but I thought it was ok based on who the characters were. This includes Tom Hanks, one of my favorite actors.

The best performances were not by the 2 main characters, but by the "bad guys". Even the cops were a little bland.

The reviews said it was boring, I found it interesting and fast moving even through 2 1/2 hours.

They said there was no action, I found plenty of action and suspense, though this isn't an action movie!

They said it had many endings, it did.

Lots of twists and turns, some I saw coming, some I didn't. I guess not reading the book helped with this as well as getting through the 2 1/2 hours.

They said there were too many flashbacks. I found they helped tell the story without boring you with someone just telling the story and giving the background.

Being a Christian, I was wondering how I felt about the movie being anti-christian. But I went to see it because I wanted to hear the thoughts and possibilities. I found the whole storyline, clues, puzzles, and possibilities fantastic.

Again, not having read the book I think I had an advantage.

Go see it:
1 - If you haven't read the book, go see it.
2 - You like history.
3 - You are a pagan.
4 - You have an open mind.
5 - You like suspense movies and can see it as fiction based on some possible facts.

Do not see it if:

1 - You read the book and might get bored easily because you know all that will happen.
2 - You are a Catholic who gets mad at anything like jokes or otherwise that you consider anti-christian. (This happened in the theater, as I was walking out, I saw 3 older people sitting near the back of the theater. One shouted, "that movie was stupid". You could just tell she was a catholic who WANTED to hate the movie. Though surprisingly she actually had read the book. See 1 above.)
3 - You are on the fence about Christianity and don't want to be swayed away. (or your faith is weak and don't want to be swayed away!)
4 - You hate conspiracy theories.
5 - You hated "National Treasure" (Another good movie by the way!)

I would love to hear your comments, please post some here.

This all leads me to an annoucement coming soon. Check back here for an annoucment that could change your life! I am working out the details, stay tuned.

1 Comments:

At Sunday, June 11, 2006 11:37:00 AM, Blogger Mike V said...

Hey man - you liked the movie because you didn't read the book. The movie sucked all the suspense and controversy out of the story. I don't even know why the church is upset about the film. The book was controversial, yes, but the movie sanitized and took all teh fun out of it.

You should read the book, John! It's great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The American Red Cross